follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: JE-66
Corporate Name: The Eagle Mill at Beaumont
Local Name: Eagle Mill #1
Owner Name: Smyth and Seale. J. G. Smyth and Brother. J. G. Smyth, George W. Smyth, Jr., John C. Ward. Elias Seale bought George Smyth's interest.
Location: Intersection of Hickory and Cypress Streets
County: Jefferson
Years in Operation: 6 years
Start Year: 1873
End Year: 1878
Decades: 1870-1879
Period of Operation: 1873 to 1878
Town: Beaumont
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 25000: 1873
Capacity Comments: Probably 25,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & New Orleans
Historicial Development: The Eagle Mill was the development of J. G. Smyth and Brother, founded in 1873. It is possible that this mill was the Smyth mill at Smyth's Bluff (Smith's Bluff), which Smyth dismantled and moved to Beaumont. The mill was set up on lots 600 to 608 at the intersection of Hickory and Cypress streets, which had been purchased from Gilbert Stephenson. Two years later, John Ward sold his one-third interest to the Smyth brothers for $1,120. In 1877, Elias T. Seale bought J. G. Smyth's interest. The company quickly outgrew its location and purchased a new spot fronting the Neches River at the end of Washington Street, and quickly built a new Eagle Mill (see Eagle Mill #2). In 1878, Olive, Sternenberg and Company bought this location for $3,500.
Research Date: MCJ 03-12-96
Prepared By: M Johnson