follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: JE-54
Corporate Name: Pipkin & Haltom
Local Name:
Owner Name: John F. Pipkin & N. G. Haltom. J. D. Bullock. William Lewis. William Phillips and Loving G. Clark
Location: Beaumont
County: Jefferson
Years in Operation: 18 years
Start Year: 1856
End Year: 1873
Decades: 1850-1859,1860-1869,1870-1879
Period of Operation: 1856 to 1873
Town: Beaumont
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: 12-horsepower steam engine
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: 300,000 feet during the reporting period of the Census of 1860. 150,000 feet during the reporting period of the Census of 1870.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: None
Historicial Development: William Phillips and Loving G. Clark built a sawmill in 1856 at Beaumont. William Lewis had complete control by 1859. The Census of 1860 recorded that the mill converted $2,000 worth of logs into 300,000 board feet worth $5,400. Five employees earned a total monthly wage of $95. The Civil War years were hard on the Lewis operation, for he sold his original investment ($2,500) in the sawmill in 1866 to J. D. Bullock for $700. Bullock did not do well and sold out in 1869 to John F. Pipkin and N. G. Haltom for $300. According to the 1870 Census, with a $5,000 capital investment, the mill had $1,000 worth of raw materials in pine and cypress logs. Employing five men who earned a total annual wage of $500 in two months, the sawmill cut 150,000 feet of lumber worth $2,000. A fire in September 1873 leveled the sawmill and it was not rebuilt. The firm of Olive and Sternenberg bought the site for their mill, which operated from 1876 to 1883 on the land of the Pipkin and Halton old mill site. Pipkin may be the same individual who was running a sawmill at Kountze, Hardin County, in 1884.
Research Date: MCJ 03-12-96
Prepared By: M Johnson