follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: JE-51
Corporate Name: Nona Mills Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: F. L. Carroll, president; G. W. Carroll, vice-president; John N. Gilbert, secretary-treasurer; C. L. Wallis, director; G. R. Ferguson, director. Beaumont Lumber and the Carrolls chartered Nona Mills in 1884. Interstate Lumber Company.
Location: Odelia, about fifteen miles southwest of Beaumont, near Fannett
County: Jefferson
Years in Operation: 5 years
Start Year: 1905
End Year: 1909
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: Interstate Lumber Company 1905; Nona Mills 1906 to 1909
Town: Odelia, near Fannett
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 60000: 1905
Capacity Comments: 60,000 feet of lumber daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planing
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Gulf & Interstate (leased by the Santa Fe)
Historicial Development: This mill and town site was built in 1905 by the Interstate Lumber Company. P. E. Parminter was the first mill superintendent. He had been the superintendent of the Interstate mill at High Island the previous year. It was soon acquired, however, by the Nona Mills Company, subsidiary company of Beaumont Lumber. The American Lumberman noted in May 1906: “The new plant of the Nona Mills Company, at Odelia, on the Gulf and Interstate railroad, has been in operation for a week. Dry kilns have been erected with a capacity of 50,000 feet a day greater than formerly possessed by the mill. The plant has been generally overhauled and improved under the superintendence of John McDonald.” The Southern Industrial and Lumber Review in March 1909 reported that the planing mill of the Nona Mills Company site at Odelia was being dismantled and moved to the site of the Leesville company plant in Louisiana. The old sawmill burned down the year before, and the remaining timber stands did not justify rebuilding the mill. The Odelia mill of the Interstate Lumber Company appeared in the January 1905 Reference Book of the Lumbermen's Credit Association. It had been operating a mill at High Island, in Chamber County, a year earlier. C. E. Berly was the paymaster and account for Nona Mills and often entrained to Odelia, carrying the payroll with him. Nona Mills Company operated mills at various times at Leesville, Louisiana; Pipkin's Switch; and Nona (Carrollton).
Research Date: JKG 8-23-93, MCJ 03-12-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson