follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: JE-48
Corporate Name: Neches River Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Francis Adams. Adams, Solinksy, & Co. In 1907, Neches River Lumber Company, a subdivision of C. R. Cummings Export Company of Houston built a mill.
Location: Beaumont, on Brake's Bayou, adjacent to the Reliance Lumber mill
County: Jefferson
Years in Operation: 53 years
Start Year: 1878
End Year: 1930
Decades: 1870-1879,1880-1889,1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: 1878 to 1884 (Adams, Solinsky, & Co); 1907- 1930s (Neches River Lumber Company)
Town: Beaumont
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: 25,000 in 1905
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber, shingles; hardwood lumber after 1907
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: 1880: two boilers, a 45-horsepower steam engine.
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 20000: 188550000: 1907
Capacity Comments: 20,000 in the 1880s; 50,000 in 1907
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1880: one 3-gang saw, one circular saw, two boilers, a 45-horsepower steam engine. 1907: band sawmill, dry kilns.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas and New Orleans
Historicial Development: Bernard Milmo partnered with Columbus C. Caswell in 1878, Milmo doing the sawmilling and Caswell the logging. The 1880 Census recorded that the d capital value of the mill was $9,000. Employing an average of eighteen workers with a maximum of twenty-two, the mill paid a daily skilled wage of $2.50 and an unskilled of $1.40, with the annum wage totaling $2,500. The mill cut 1,200,000 board feet worth $12,000. Milmo sold out to Francis Adams in 1882 for $6,900. Milmo took W. B. and S. A. McCarty on a one-third interest, and Henry Solinksy on a one-third interest in 1882, the company becoming Adams, Solinksy, and Company. In 1883, the mill was converted to a cypress shingle mill. When the Neches flooded in June 1884, more than 12,000 feet of cypress timber floated away. Apparently, the loss of raw materials finished the mill economically. In 1907, C. R. Cummings built a mill on the old Adams and Milmo site. Chartering the Neches River Lumber Company, with C. R. Cummings the major stockholder and the Neches River Lumber vice president, H. C. Huff was the president and Sam Powell the secretary treasurer. It was built next to Magnolia Cemetery and adjacent to the Reliance sawmill on Brake's Bayou. The mill continued operations until at least 1930.
Research Date: MCJ 03-12-96
Prepared By: M Johnson