follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: JE-39
Corporate Name: Landry Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Emmet Landry of the Landry Lumber Company.
Location: Brake's Bayou north of Beaumont
County: Jefferson
Years in Operation: 4 years
Start Year: 1899
End Year: 1902
Decades: 1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1899 to about 1901 or 1902
Town: Brake's Bayou north of Beaumont
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: 25,000 feet daily on the sawmill and 40,000 feet on the planer daily in 1907 at Landry Station
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Beaumont, Sour Lake & Western tram
Historicial Development: Emmett Landry and possibly B. F. Bonner built a mill in 1898 or 1899 in Jefferson County. American Lumberman reported in January 1899 that the the Bonner & Landry mill was nearly built and would be soon in operation, and again in the summer of 1899 that Emmet Landry was building a mill on Brake's Bayou. It is not known if this mill was completed. By 1906, Landry's mill was reported, by the American Lumberman again, a few miles west of Beaumont on the tracks of the Beaumont, Sour Lake & Western. It was conducting tramming and extending its facility. The Beaumont Enterprise of 12 May 1907 noted that the Landry sawmill, located at Landry Station, five miles west of Beaumont on the Beaumont, Sour Lake and Western railroad, had been sold to E. E Gilmore of Port Arthur. The mill could cut 25,000 feet daily and the planer could manufacture 40,000 feed of finished lumber daily. The Switch had a population of 250, a work force of about 50, a short tram road, and stumpage reserve of about fifteen million feet.
Research Date: MCJ 04-15-96
Prepared By: M Johnson