follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: JA-16
Corporate Name: Peavy-Moore Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Peavy-Moore Lumber Company. Miller-Link Lumber Company. R. W. Wier Lumber Company. Harrell-Votaw Lumber Company.
Location: Texla: Highway 62 and tracks of Sabine River and Northern
County: Jasper
Years in Operation: 22 years
Start Year: 1907
End Year: 1928
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919,1920-1929
Period of Operation: Harrell, 1907; Wier, 1908; Miller-Link, 1918; Peavy-Moore, 1920-1928.
Town: Texla, formerly Bruce
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Peak, about 600
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Steam kiln dried pine lumber, ties, heavy timbers, joists
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam, electric
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 75000: 1919
Capacity Comments: 75,000 feet daily in 1919
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1909: A planing and sawmill with a steam kiln. 1918: Single circular; double circular.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Orange & Northwestern Railroad
Historicial Development: This sawmill site was, according to Handbook of Texas, built by the Harrell-Votaw Lumber Company in 1907. R. W. Wier Lumber Company, headquartered in Houston, had it in 1908. R. W. Wier employed about 200 men. Timber was supplied by a logging-only railroad. According to the 1909 county tax assessor's roll, the tram road was four and a half miles long and valued at $4,500. The R. W. Wier Lumber Company, noted the Southern Industrial and Lumber Review, in September, 1908, had contracted with Tel-Electric Company of Houston to install a “complete plant and system of lighting with electricity the mill and the town adjoining.” Peavy-Wilson still owned the town of Texla after the sawmill closed in 1928. It sold Texla to “en toto” to realty interests from Lake Charles, Louisiana. Wier sold it to Miller-Link in 1918. It burned sometime later that year and was being rebuilt in December that year with a capacity to install another headrig if necessary. Acquired by Peavy-Moore in 1920, the mill was operated until the end of 1928. The company announced, according to The Gulf Coast Lumberman, that the mill would close forever by the middle of December, 1928.
Research Date: JKG 9-1-93, 10-13-93, MCJ 12-07-95
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson