follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NA-19
Corporate Name: Cariker-Martindatle Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Cariker-Martindatle Lumber Company. Cariker-Caruthers Lumber Company. Carter Lumber Company with J. Press Carter, J. S. Rice and Ben J. Barrow. A. J. Caruthers. A. B. Martindale. J. W. Cariker.
Location: Sacul: on stream crossing west of 979 on Highway 204
County: Nacogdoches
Years in Operation: 6 years
Start Year: 1904
End Year: 1909
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: Caruthers 1904; Carter Lumber Company, 1906
Town: Sacul
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 40000: 1906
Capacity Comments: 40,000 feet of lumber daily
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Planing mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & New Orleans
Historicial Development: Caruthers Lumber Company bought in February 1906 the A. J. Caruthers planing mill, which had been finishing the rough cut of other sawmills in the area of Cushing and Sacul. A. J. and Lee Caruthers conveyed to Carter Lumber Company in 1905 for $1,741.18 a total of 325 acres in the George Barber Survey north of Sacul in the counties of Nacogdoches and Rusk as well as 320 acres in the James Brookshire Survey, one mile east of Sacul. The Morrison, McClennon & Tingle Mill, two miles north of Sacul, was one of its better customers. Sacul was included in a list of Carter mills that appeared in a January 1907 advertisement in Southern Industrial and Lumber Review, but it had been deleted in a similar advertisement in March of the same year. The Caruthers Lumber Company was included in the 1907 edition of the Reference Book of the Lumbermen's Credit Association. In January 1909, the Cariker-Martindatle Lumber Company succeeded the Cariker-Caruthers Lumber Company, which had regained the mill from the Carter interests. A. B. Martindale had purchased the stock of A. J. Caruthers. The stock was capitalized at $50,000.
Research Date: MCJ 04-11-96
Prepared By: M Johnson