follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HO-95
Corporate Name: Long & Wilson
Local Name:
Owner Name: N. M. Long and and W. L. Wilson. W. A. Craig and Edgar Wilcox. Alice Craig & Edgar Wilcox. W. G. Craig. J. E. Morgan.
Location: Fourteen miles east of Crockett
County: Houston
Years in Operation: 6 years
Start Year: 1920
End Year: 1925
Decades: 1920-1929
Period of Operation: 1920 to 1925
Town: East of Crockett
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Shingles and rough lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Unknown
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and shingle mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: W. H. Craig may have purchased the J. E. Morgan shingle mill (see Comments below), which was located about fourteen miles east of Crockett. In 1923 or 1924, Craig sold to Mrs. Alice Craig and Edgar Wilcox “that certain complete sawmill outfit and shingle mill. . . . now situated about 14 miles northeast of Crockett.” If Craig had earlier purchased the Morgan shingle mill, Craig had added a sawmill to the operation. This is probably the same sawmill mentioned in the county's bill of sale records in 1925. On June 3, 1925, W. A. Craig and Edgar Wilcox sold the “sawmill outfit and engine, boiler, planer, belting, line shaft,” saws, “three tenant houses,” a log wagon, buildings, and sheds to N. M. Long and W. L. Wilson. The bill placed the sawmill on the land of T. J. Duren about thirteen miles northeast of Crockett. J. E. Morgan operated a shingle mill a mile north of the Kennard-Crockett Road, about fourteen miles east of Crockett. In 1920, he sold one hundred thousand shingles to Smith-Murchison Hardware Company.
Research Date: MCJ 02-20-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson