follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SH-220
Corporate Name: W. Y. Simpson
Local Name: Attoyac
Owner Name: W. Y. Simpson. W. Y. Simpson & T. M. Harris. T. M. Harris & T. P. Wragg. Mill output owned by Carter Lumber Company in 1906.
Location: East of Garrison on the Attoyac River, probably in Shelby County
County: Shelby
Years in Operation: 21 years
Start Year: 1887
End Year: 1907
Decades: 1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1887 to 1907
Town: East of Garrison
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Finished red and white oak barrel staves for European export
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Originally water, steam after 1895: 54-inch by 16-ft boiler
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 10000: 189320000: 1906
Capacity Comments: 10,000 feet daily in 1893 to 20,000 feet in 1906.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Dixie circular sawmill, edger, trimmer, cut-off saw; a planing mill with a boiler, engine, planer and matcher; twenty-two work oxen, two mules, a two-horse wagon, seven log wagons
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Houston East & West Texas
Historicial Development: This sawmill began as Simpson & Company with its lumber yard at Garrison in 1887 and, according to The Star News of Nacogdoches, “Our mills situated in one of the finest pineries in East Texas.” The Harris & Wragg lumber mill was variously described as being located eight miles to the southeast of Garrison and ten miles to the northeast of the town. T. P. Wragg also owned sawmills at Bland Lake and at Neuville. T. M. Harris bought out Wragg before 1906. Nacogdoches County records describe a T. M. Harris and W. V. Simpson sawmill about eight miles southeast of Garrison in 1906 on the Bolivar Testard pre-emption survey. A trade journal article reported that the Carter Lumber Company owned the mill output in February 1906. The cut was probably sent to the Attoyac River Lumber Company at nearby Mayotown. Simpson bought out Harris for $5,000 that year. Property included a 54-inch by 16-ft boiler, a steam engine, a Dixie circular sawmill, edger, trimmer, cut-off saw; a planing mill with a boiler, engine, planer and matcher; twenty-two work oxen, two mules, a two-horse wagon, seven log wagons, and a million feet of lumber. A 1911 railroad map locates a Harris Station in Shelby County on the Texas & Gulf, a Waterman Lumber Company tram road.
Research Date: LT 08-17-93, MCJ 03-02-96
Prepared By: L Turner, M Johnson