follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: WK-45
Corporate Name: William C. Josey
Local Name:
Owner Name: William C. Josey. Evander Josey and E. W. M. Highsmith
Location: One-quarter mile south of the Dodge depot of the International & Great Northern
County: Walker
Years in Operation: 16 years
Start Year: 1879
End Year: 1894
Decades: 1870-1879,1880-1889,1890-1899
Period of Operation: 1879 to 1894
Town: Just south of Dodge
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber and cornmeal
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: 30-horsepower steam engine
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 8000: 1880
Capacity Comments: 1,760,000 feet during the reporting period of the Census
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Circular sawmill and grist mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: International & Great Northern
Historicial Development: Research by W. T. Block reveal that the Josey & Highsmith sawmill enumerated in the 1880 Census in Enumeration District 157 belonged to Evander Josey and E. W. M. Highsmith. Chattel mortgages filed November 6 and 11, 1880, indicate that Josey and Highsmith possessed a steam-powered sawmill and grist mill, located on seven acres about one-quarter mile south of the International & Great Northern Depot at Dodge on the John Carothers league. The Census of 1880 revealed that the mill employed twenty-five men at peak production and twenty normally, earning $1.00 to $1.50 daily for ten-hour shifts in the winter and eleven-hour shifts during the summer. Highsmith paid out $5,000 total in wages. From $10,000 in supplies and sawlogs, the mill manufactured 1,760,000 feet of lumber, worth $16,000. W. T. Block believes that William C. Josey took over his father's mill before 1890. He began serving as the last postmaster at Cincinnati in 1892. That year he mortgaged the mill to J. B. Jones for $1,455, the sawmill, machinery, equipment, “all on land purchased from M. C. Kelly [widow of John Felix Kelly, Sr.] near Cincinnati on the Trinity River, . .”. The Josey sawmill was sold to C. D. Oliphint in 1894 and moved to Oliphint Switch (later Elmina) near New Waverly.
Research Date: MCJ 03-31-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson