follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HD-95
Corporate Name: Brown Hardwood Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Brown Hardwood Company with R. G. Brown
Location: Fletcher, near Voth
County: Hardin
Years in Operation: 2 years
Start Year: 1922
End Year: 1923
Decades: 1920-1929
Period of Operation: 1922 to 1923
Town: Fletcher, near Voth
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Crossties
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Unknown
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Crosstie mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Fletcher tramway (Kirby property)
Historicial Development: Brown Hardwood Company was the creation of R. G. Brown and a partner, Flewellen, of Longview, Texas, during the 1880s. During the next thirty years, the company expanded into Panola, Hardin, and Jefferson counties. The above mill was a crosstie mill that John Henry Kirby contracted with Brown Hardwood to build on his property at Fletcher, near Voth, in Jefferson County. The mill's product would help Kirby to meet his contractual obligations for crossties to the Santa Fe Railroad. The ties were to be made of tupelo, gum, by, and elm, each measuring 8-feet by 6-inch by 8-inch. Many of the ties were to be sent to Kirby for experimental purposes; they were to be marked with bright paint so the Santa Fe treatment plant at Somerville could distinguish them for other ties. The Brown company did its own logging over the Kirby tram road, known as the “Fletcher tram.” Kirby officials were very displeased with the performance of the Brown mill. Several executives cited the mill as a good example not to allow any more tie mills on Kirby territory for the simple reason that Kirby could not “control them.” Kirby did try to buy Brown's tie mill but before an official could offer the proposition, Brown had his mill dismantled and loaded onto rail cars. Kirby did not bother “at all” to proceed further and apparently let Brown haul his mill back to the Longview area. This contract was probably replaced by the Bean Lumber Company of Kirbyville.
Research Date: JKG 10-13-93, MCJ 03-13-96
Prepared By: J Gerland, M Johnson