follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SM-57
Corporate Name: Moorer and Carter
Local Name:
Owner Name: William Jackson Moorer and Christopher Columbus Carter
Location: Mechanicsville, about three miles southwest of Mt. Sylvan, near Camp's Ferry on the Sabine River
County: Smith
Years in Operation: 7 years
Start Year: 1869
End Year: 1875
Decades: 1860-1869,1870-1879
Period of Operation: 1869 to 1875
Town: Mechanicsville
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber and possibly cornmeal
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Unknown
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, planing mill, possibly grist mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: None
Historicial Development: Moorer and Carter, according to Dr. William Woldert, who was raised in Tyler from the age of four in 1849, had a sawmill about three miles southwest of Mt. Sylvan. According to Dr. Woldert, the mill opened about 1870. Equipment included a planing mill. This may be the sawmill that Albert Woldert later wrote about being the center and focus of a small community named “Mechanicsville.” Gregg County records note that Christopher B. Carter and W. J. Moore had a sawmill partnership. A bill of sale for $3,500 from Carter to Moore in 1875 recorded that the mill was located near Camp's Ferry on the Sabine River. Property included lands, steam mills for lumber and cornmeal, two log carts, two log wagons, three road wagons, and eleven oxen. Dr. Woldert writes that first the sawmill, then a furniture factory, and finally a dozen houses were constructed about four miles east of the Neches River and two and a half miles southwest of Mt Sylvan. The community existed until about 1875, when it was destroyed by a forest fire.
Research Date: MCJ 04-16-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson