follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SH-268
Corporate Name: W. R. Pickering Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: W. R. Pickering Lumber Company
Location: Neuville, nine miles south of Center
County: Shelby
Years in Operation: 4 years
Start Year: 1906
End Year: 1909
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: Began operations 1906 to 1909
Town: Neuville
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 40000: 1906
Capacity Comments: 40,000 feet daily in 1909
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe
Historicial Development: The Pickering mill at Neuville began running in the spring of 1906. It had a capacity of 40,000 board feet daily. This mill and the large mill at Haslam later, would be cutting the 125,000 acres of timber owned by the company in Shelby and San Augustine counties. The Pickering sawmill at Neuville did not operate very long and was probably closed shortly after its large mill at Haslam began in 1909. In 1912, Pickering mortgaged Bagwell & Hurst to saw Pickering trees at their mill for all lumber and lumber products manufactured at the Bagwell & Hurst mill. The Handbook of Texas noted that Neuville, founded in 1904, was named for a family that had lived in the area since the 1840s.
Research Date: MCJ 03-02-96
Prepared By: M Johnson