follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HD-48
Corporate Name: Lutcher & Moore Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: H. J. Lutcher. G. BeDell Moore.. Charles Fitzenreiter. B. Fitzgerald
Location: Tryon, one mile north of Olive, two miles south of Plank or Noble's Switch
County: Hardin
Years in Operation: 7 years
Start Year: 1887
End Year: 1893
Decades: 1880-1889,1890-1899
Period of Operation: 1887 to 1893
Town: Tryon
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 20000: 1893
Capacity Comments: 20,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planer
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & New Orleans in 1882
Historicial Development: B. Fitzgerald built in a small sawmill in 1886 at Tryon, some years after Noble & Sheldon bought out J. M. Tryon's mill and moved it over to Plank. A planing mill was added in 1887. It was sold to Charles Fitzenreiter by 1889, and the plant's output was managed by Lutcher and Moore. Lutcher & Moore's Orange facility received the Tryon's output by rail for curing and marketing. Fitzreiter had been the superintendent of the waterworks and public buildings of New Orleans from 1872 to 1874.
Research Date: JKG 10-13-93, MCJ 03-13-96
Prepared By: J Gerland, M Johnson