follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HD-39
Corporate Name: Kirby Lumber Company Mill F
Local Name:
Owner Name: Kirby Lumber Company. United Export Lumber Company of Ford, Eastman, and Johnson. Yellow Pine and Timber Company
Location: Lillard, three miles east of Silsbee and three miles west of Evadale
County: Hardin
Years in Operation: 7 years
Start Year: 1898
End Year: 1904
Decades: 1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1898, Yellow Pine and Timber Company; 1900, United Export Lumber Company; Kirby Lumber Company, 1902 to about 1904.
Town: Lillard
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Ties and timbers
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 45000: 1904
Capacity Comments: 45,000 feet of lumber daily in 1904
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill with a single circular, edger, trimmer, shotgun feed to 28-ft and 30-ft, planing mill, and dry kiln.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Located on the Gulf Beaumont & Kansas City Railway
Historicial Development: This Kirby mill was originally built by Charles Martin and others of the Yellow Pine Tie and Timber Company in 1898. The mill operated only a short time before it was sold in 1900 to the United Export Lumber Company (Fort, Eastman, and Johnson). The mill under Yellow Pine and United Export was apparently a sawmill operation only. American Lumberman reported in 1901 that the Yellow Pine Timber & Lumber Company sold its plant at Lillard to the United Lumber Company. The mill was transferred to the Kirby Lumber Company on January 1, 1902. For a time the Lillard mill was managed by C.P. Myer, manger at Silsbee and later central manager for all Kirby mills and logging operations. Although Webb reported that the sawmill burned in 1903, it was in full operation in February, 1904, when a Kirby evaluation of mills was conducted, but it is believed the mill was dismantled soon thereafter. The Lillard post office was dismantled in 1904 and the records of the Lumbermen's Credit Association do not include a Kirby mill at Lillard as of January 1905. The Lillard sawmill plant was valued at only $27,000 in 1904. It was a small affair, and, although it had a small dry kiln and planing machine, the saws and planer shared the same building. The standard dry kiln was only capable of drying 12,000 board feet per day. Logging operations in February 1904 were being done eight miles east of the mill on narrow gauge tracks. Two 36-inch gauge locomotives were used. Timber being cut was short leaf with a limited amount of long leaf.
Research Date: JKG 10-13-93, MCJ 04-15-96
Prepared By: J Gerland, M Johnson