follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SB-2
Corporate Name: Lightfoot and Hornsby
Local Name:
Owner Name: M. A. Lightfoot & J. T. Hornsby from 1905 to 1906. Lightfoot and Cass from 1906 to 1907.
Location: Rush, five south of Bronson and west of tracks
County: Sabine
Years in Operation: 4 years
Start Year: 1904
End Year: 1907
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1904 to 1907
Town: Rush
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Twenty-two tenant houses
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Ames twin-steam crank-star 10-inch by 12-inch 40-horsepower engine; Ames 44-inch by 14-foot boiler.
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 35000: 1906
Capacity Comments: 25,000 feet daily in 1905; 35,000 in 1906
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Curtis Dixie ‘D' sawmill complete with two 54”-inch Curtis circular saws
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe
Historicial Development: A Beaumont Enterprise article of April 30, 1905 reports that Lightfoot and Hornsby to have a mill at the new town of Rush on the Santa Fe. It employed twenty-five hands and had constructed about ten tenant houses. Lightfoot and Hornsby machinery included a Ames twin-steam crank-star 10-inch by 12-inch 40-horsepower engine; Ames 44-inch by 14-foot boiler, a Dixie ‘D' sawmill complete two 54-inch Curtis circular saws, four lumber dollies, and one slab carrier. This mill later employed sixty men, paying a monthly total wage of $4,000, and had twenty-two rent houses, and a stocked commissary worth of $3,000 in goods. Logging was done with animals, and the stock was hauled to railroad at Bronson. Lightfoot and Walden, the filer at Rush, had a mill located in Nacogdoches County in 1903. Key personnel included M. A. Lightfoot, superintendent; A. C. Millicent, mill foreman; J. H. Walden, filer; John Ayres, sawyer; Porter Slay, engineer. Until a new post office was established at Rush, all postal service for Rush's inhabitants was handled at the Pineland office.
Research Date: MCJ 12-05-95
Prepared By: M. Johnson