follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SA-179
Corporate Name: Sturgis Lumber Co.
Local Name:
Owner Name: Sturgis Lumber Co. Fred T. Fisher. L. J. Edwards and C. G. Law.
Location: One and a half mile southwest of San Augustine
County: San Augustine
Years in Operation: 13 years
Start Year: 1936
End Year: 1948
Decades: 1930-1939,1940-1949
Period of Operation: 1936 to the 1948
Town: San Augustine
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Tenant housing
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Circular sawmill and planing mill.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: F. T. Fisher bought from the First National Bank a complete sawmill and planing mill, located about one and a half miles from San Augustine. The next year he bought the old J. H. Bland & G. B. Fisher sawmill and planing mill about one-half mile to the south. Ernest Nash, an oldtime area resident, recalled that the Fisher mills operated until the 1950s and that Fisher Lumber Company provided tenant housing. L. J. Edwards and C. G. Law sold their sawmill and planing mill located about one and one-half miles southwest of San Augustine in 1936 to Fisher Lumber Company. On 30 March 1948, the Sturgis Lumber Company, with plants at Hemphill and Jasper, sold to M. L. Spinks the old Fisher Lumber Company sawmill and planing mill, which Sturgis Lumber had bought eighteen days earlier.
Research Date: MCJ 02-19-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson