follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SA-171
Corporate Name: San Augustine Manufacturing Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: San Augustine Manufacturing Company, or the J. E. Stone Lumber Company. Clyde Stone, vice president (1942). John and Henry Polk. (Possibly the Booth Lumber Company mill in the later 1950s)
Location: About two miles south of San Augustine on Outlots 7 and 11
County: San Augustine
Years in Operation: 21 years
Start Year: 1935
End Year: 1955
Decades: 1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959
Period of Operation: Later 1930s to mid-1950s
Town: South of San Augustine
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Saws, saw guide, carriage with rail, two 15/16 Mandrel and four Mandrel boxes, edger, trimmer
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: The San Augustine Manufacturing Company of John A. and Henry Polk had been operating at San Augustine since 1940. That year on the same day it bought lumber manufacturing equipment from the Cunningham Manufacturing Company for $3,82.07 and from Commercial State Bank a sawmill plant for $5,000 complete with all buildings and machinery. The mill site was located on out-lots 7 and 11 of the city. The company was doing its own logging on several tracts of land belonging to H. B. Arnold near Milam in 1942. G. Lane remembered that the company under the Polks, and later Stone, provided a commissary and tenant houses for its workers. The Trinity Valley Section article of the Lufkin Daily News reported in 1943 that J. E. Stone operated a sawmill at San Augustine. Since J. E. Stone Lumber Company bought San Augustine Manufacturing Company in 1944, it can be assumed that the Polks may have been leasing it to Stone Lumber prior to the sale. The mill site was located on Out-lot 7 and part of Out-lot 11 in San Augustine. G. Lane, J. McSwain, and Ernest Nash informed interviewer V. L Beasley of the Texas Forestry Museum in 1994 that the lumber company under both the Polks and Stone provided a commissary and tenant housing for the employees from the 1930s to the early 1950s.
Research Date: JKG, 8-20-93 MCJ 02-19-96, LT 07-31-93
Prepared By: L Turner, J. Gerland, M. Johnson