follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SA-168
Corporate Name: Wyatt Hanks
Local Name:
Owner Name: Wyatt Hanks. Donald McDonald.
Location: Ayish Bayou, one to three miles south of San Augustine
County: San Augustine
Years in Operation: 14 years
Start Year: 1826
End Year: 1839
Decades: 1820-1829,1830-1839
Period of Operation: About 1826 to 1839
Town: Near San Augustine
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber and cornmeal
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Water
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Saw and grist mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: None
Historicial Development: The Houston Morning Star, quoting the San Augustine Redlander, February 9, 1842, reports that Judge Wyatt Hanks built “The first saw mill in Texas . . . 16 years ago on the Ayish Bayou within 1 mile of San Augustine. Ruins of the ancient mill and many relics of the mill dam still can be seen.” Webb in the Handbook of Texas reports that Hanks operated the mill until November 5, 1834. Dr. H. P. Easton records that in 1839 Wyatt Hanks and Donald McDonald as owners, with John Murchison as engineer, entered an agreement “to saw lumber on the Ayish Bayou, south of town, though the mill may have been running at an earlier date . . .” Since Hanks had moved in 1834, his agreement with McDonald probably reflects that McDonald would run the mill.
Research Date: MCJ 02-19-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson