follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SA-2
Corporate Name: Sturgis Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Sturgis Lumber Company, also known as Boynton Lumber Company or Boynton Brothers. Albert Boynton, president; Simon W. Henderson, vice-president; M. M. Boynton, secretary-treasurer
Location: Sturgis, near White City
County: San Augustine
Years in Operation: 12 years
Start Year: 1917
End Year: 1928
Decades: 1910-1919,1920-1929
Period of Operation: 1910s and 1920s
Town: Sturgis, near White City
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 900 in 1928
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber from hardwoods and pines
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 50000: 1928
Capacity Comments: Sawmill cut of 50,000 feet daily and planing mill cut 80,000 feet daily in 1928
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Circular saw and planing mills, edgers, trimmers, resaw, dry kilns
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: St Louis Southwestern (Cotton Belt)
Historicial Development: The Sturgis Lumber Company was organized by Albert and Walter Boynton, along with Simon Henderson of Keltys, Texas. The brothers also had operated sawmills in Angelina, Panola, and Newton counties. The Boynton brothers moved their mill from Logtown, Newton County sometime between 1912 and 1917 to Sturgis, San Augustine County, near White City. The mill appeared in the 1928 edition of the Southern Lumberman's directory of sawmills as manufacturing ash, beech, elm, black, red and sweet gum, hickory, red and white oak, and longleaf and short leaf pine lumber at 50,000 feet per day. The Boynton mill operation at Sturgis had a logging road and a town commissary.
Research Date: JKG, 8-20-93 MCJ 02-19-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M Johnson