follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HA-120
Corporate Name: Walker and Bunt
Local Name:
Owner Name: Wilton Bunt, Bud Walker, Lige Walker, Tom Walker
Location: Gum Creek settlement, south side of Hynson Springs Road (Highway 149), two miles east of Walker's
County: Harrison
Years in Operation: 5 years
Start Year: 1921
End Year: 1925
Decades: 1920-1929
Period of Operation: 1921 to 1925
Town: Gum Creek settlement
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Eleven homes
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 25000: 1921
Capacity Comments: 25,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, planing mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: Wilton Bunt joined his brothers-in-law Bud Walker, Lige Walker, and Tom Walker forming a sawmill firm named Walker and Bunt about 1900. The families milled in various places in Upshur County, including Coffeeville, Lafayette, and Indian Rock until 1921. The firm followed the policy of “cut out and get out.” The sawmill community moved to a location south of Hynson Spring Road and bounded west and east by Spring Branch and Gum Creek. Known as the Gum Creek settlement or the Settlement Between The Branches, the sawmill and planing mill operated from 1921 to 1925. The community of eleven homes also had a commissary and a school. The Walkers built both of the school houses, but the salary of teacher Gypsie Croft was paid by the county. A map of the Gum Creek settlement can be found at page 17 of the Bunt work listed below. The families were growing as babies kept coming as well as other extended-family members. The Gum Creek settlement was becoming too small. Land about two miles to the southwest was located, and the land and the buildings abandoned. The lumber from the houses was used by Douglas Floyd to build barns, chicken houses, and a milk parlor.
Research Date: MCJ 02-05-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson