follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: RU-10
Corporate Name: Langford Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Langford Lumber Company. C. M. Langford in 1928. Offices at Kilgore, Gregg County in 1925. Directors: Ed A. Langford, C. M. Langford, & N. Langford. The company was under Angelina County Lumber Company supervision in the 1930s.
Location: Mt. Enterprise, approximately northeast corner of Highways 84 and 259
County: Rusk
Years in Operation: 28 years
Start Year: 1909
End Year: 1936
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: 1909 to at least 1936
Town: Mt. Enterprise
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Yellow pine lumber specializing in dimension in 1915; red and white oak, shortleaf yellow pine in 1928.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 25000: 191520000: 1928
Capacity Comments: 25,000 feet daily in 1915; 20,000 feet in 1928
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1928: Circular sawmill, planing mill, edgers, trimmers, dry kilns.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Caro Northern Railway
Historicial Development: The Langford Lumber Company operated in Rusk and Nacogdoches counties for two decades and Mt. Enterprise and Trawick, respectively. The earliest record of the Langford Lumber Company is a lease renewal of a 1909 timber land agreement between Henderson Lumber and Planing Mill Company and C. M. Langford. The Langford Lumber Company mill at Mt. Enterprise, according to county records filed in 1911, was located west of the Caro Northern Railroad and east of the public road, generally northeast of the intersection of Highways 84 and 259. The mill may have been located on a 10 1/3 acre site bought from the Mt. Enterprise Townsite Corporation. Specializing in dimension, the mill was cutting 25,000 feet of yellow pine lumber daily in 1915. By 1928, production had slipped to 20,000 feet daily but a planing mill had been added at the Mt. Enterprise operation, and another C. M. Langford mill was operating at Trawick, Nacogdoches County. By the 1930s, the company was in financial straits with the Angelina County Lumber Company at Keltys.
Research Date: MCJ 02-12-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson