follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HA-102
Corporate Name: Sandford
Local Name: Harris Sawmill
Owner Name: George, Henry, Willie, & R. Sandford. William Mauthe. J. W. Harris.
Location: Henrietta Lake, two miles northeast of Marshall
County: Harrison
Years in Operation: 1 year
Start Year: 1906
End Year: 1906
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1906
Town: Henrietta Lake
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Circular sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & Pacific
Historicial Development: The Harris Sawmill was located after the turn of the century about two miles northeast of Marshall. In 1906, Harris carried a number of mortgages on which he apparently defaulted. The county record filed notes the sawmill was located on the H. A. and May Harris place, near Henrietta Lake. William Mauthe, probably acting as Trustee for Harris, sold the sawmill to the Sandfords in 1906. Part of the agreement was that the mill was to be moved to a site nine miles southeast of Marshall.
Research Date: MCJ 02-05-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson