follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: PK-128
Corporate Name: W. G. Ragley Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: W. G. Ragley Lumber Company
Location: Benford: four miles east of Corrigan on Highway 287
County: Polk
Years in Operation: 17 years
Start Year: 1921
End Year: 1937
Decades: 1920-1929
Period of Operation: 1921 before 1937
Town: Benford
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 100 in 1928
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Hardwood and pine: ash, cottonwood, black and red gum, hickory, red and white oak, longleaf and shortleaf pine.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 50000: 1928
Capacity Comments: 50,000 feet daily in 1928
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Band sawmill and planing mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Missouri, Kansas, & Texas (later Waco, Beaumont, Trinity & Sabine)
Historicial Development: W. G. Ragley Lumber Company operated a mill at Benford in the era before the world wars. The Gulf Coast Lumberman reported in 1921 that it was marketing Ragley's cut at Benford. The journal also reported in 1957 that the mill had cut out by 1926, yet the mill appeared in the 1928 edition of the Southern Lumberman's sawmill directory. W. G. Ragley may have bought the West Lumber Company mill at Benford shortly after it cut out about 1926. It is The Gulf Coast Lumberman may have confused the two mills when assigning a closing date for the Ragley operation. No mill at Benford was recorded in the Lumbermen's Credit Association's October 1934 records. Benford became a ghost town by 1937. Ragley may have used this mill at the same time to supplement the capacity of his major mill at Carmona, some fifteen miles west along the tracks of the Trinity & Sabine.
Research Date: JKG 11-17-93, MCJ 02-27-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson