follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NE-4
Corporate Name: Miller-Link Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Miller-Link Lumber: Leopold Miller and J.W. Link. Newton Sawmill Company: G. M. Sells, H. R. Jackson, Sam C. Tremble, J. A. Holland, D. A. Ford, and W. E. Lester.
Location: Newton: at Easy and Rusk Streets
County: Newton
Years in Operation: 3 years
Start Year: 1907
End Year: 1909
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1907 to 1909
Town: Newton
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 60000: 1907
Capacity Comments: 60,000 feet daily with projected increase to 80,000 feet in 1909
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Saw mill and planer
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Orange and Northwestern and a company tram
Historicial Development: The Newton Sawmill Company bought the plant in 1907, just before the Panic struck. The stockholders were G. M. Sells, H. R. Jackson, Sam C. Tremble, J. A. Holland, D. A. Ford, and W. E. Lester. The company never operated the mill under its ownership. The Miller-Link Lumber Company of Orange became owners of the Newton Sawmill Company at Newton on September 1, 1908. The mill was reported running to full capacity soon after the Miller-Link purchase, and the output was being sold through the Orange offices of the Miller-Link Lumber Company. D. A. Ford, with former connections to Lutcher & Moore and general manager and partner in Newton Sawmill Company, remained as the plant's manager. The sawmill, according to the Southern Industrial and Lumber Review of July 20, 1909, reported that the Newton plant had been operating at two-thirds time. Capacity had been increased from 40,000 to 60,000 feet and a new tram road constructed into the timber holdings. As supply exceeded demand in 1909 and prices dropped, it was closed that year to protect the Orange plant. A tragic accident occurred at the plant that emphasized the danger in milling. Walter Bradford from Orange was killed in February 1909 when the sawmill machinery dragged him in and chewed him up.
Research Date: JKG 9-1-93, MCJ 12-08-95
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson