follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NA-68
Corporate Name: Attoyac Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Attoyac Lumber Company with F. M. Smith and T. A. Neil. Alford, Drewery, and Neil.
Location: Probably in eastern or southeastern part of county
County: Nacogdoches
Years in Operation: 8 years
Start Year: 1900
End Year: 1907
Decades: -
Period of Operation: 1900 to possibly as late as 1907
Town: Eastern or southeastern part of county
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Unknown
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: The Attoyac Lumber Company, a co-partnership of F. M. Smith and T. A. Neil, contracted to erect a sawmill, log, and manufacture lumber in Nacogdoches County in 1900. The mill would be powered with steam, most of the machinery coming from the former mill of Alford, Drewery, and Neil. The contract also included notes about a commissary. A newspaper article in July 1902 noted that “the Alford mill” was located five miles south of Nacogdoches.
Research Date: MCJ 02-10-96
Prepared By: M Johnson