follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NA-46
Corporate Name: Lee and Manning
Local Name: Long Leaf mill
Owner Name: Robert Howard Lee and W. W. Manning. James W. Christian and Jonathan Williams. R. H. Lee. B. Blake
Location: Lola (Garna): Four miles south of Nacogdoches' Loop 224 on 2863
County: Nacogdoches
Years in Operation: 21 years
Start Year: 1884
End Year: 1904
Decades: 1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1884, 1890, 1904
Town: Lola, also known as Garna (Garner's Switch), LaNana
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and dressed lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 20000: 1890
Capacity Comments: 20,000 feet of lumber daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planer
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Houston East & West Texas
Historicial Development: B. Blake bought land about five miles southeast of Nacogdoches in 1884 and built a sawmill. The sawmill was in the hands of Robert Howard Lee by 1891. The article “Timbered Texas,” Galveston Weekly News, April 13, 1893, mentions a Manning and Lee mill at Lola in 1893, cutting about 15,000 feet daily. Manning's name is not mentioned in county records as a co-owner with Lee. Nacogdoches County records reveal that Lee's operation near LaNana operated two sawmills: the Long Leaf mill on the tracks of the Houston East and West Texas, about five miles south of Nacogdoches (the old LaNana Mills), and a second mill about two and a miles to the east of the tracks. The mills were supported by a planer at Long Leaf. Logging was done with a tram road, sixteen cars, two log wagons and twelve oxen. James Christian and Jonathan Williams bought both Lee mills in 1894. Lee, in February, 1896, bought the Long Leaf mill back. He also maintained a planer and lumber yard at Lola. Lee mortgaged some oxen to the First National Bank the next year. E. A. Blount in 1904 gave $7,124 on a mortgage to Robert Howard Lee and W. W. Manning with collateral posted as a sawmill, steam machinery, and timber. The Blakely & Simpson sawmill may have been cutting timbers and ties for the tracks and bridging of the Houston East and West Texas as it approached Nacogdoches that year. Blakely may have been a misspelling for B. Blake, who bought land and erected a sawmill in the same area during that year. “Garna” apparently was a misspelling (and mispronunciation) of Garner, for Garner's Switch. See Nacogdoches News, May 31, 1889, ad for E. R. Ashley, whose milling operation was located at Garner's Switch, four miles south of Nacogdoches along the Houston East & West Texas.
Research Date: LAT 08-08-93, JKG 12-15-93, MCJ 02-10-96
Prepared By: L. Turner, J. Gerland, M. Johnson