follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NA-10
Corporate Name: LaNana Mills
Local Name: LaNana
Owner Name: LaNana Mills. LaNana Lumber Company. W. Vestal Carraway. R. H. Lee. C. C. Galloway (Caroway Caraway Carroway)
Location: Lola/ LaNana: south of Press Road (525) and Lick Creek crossing
County: Nacogdoches
Years in Operation: 31 years
Start Year: 1870
End Year: 1900
Decades: 1870-1879,1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1870 to 1901
Town: Lola, also known as LaNana
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 150 by 1895; 104 in 1906
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and dressed pine lumber, cotton, and cornmeal
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Originally water; converted to steam about 1890.
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 20000: 1893
Capacity Comments: 20,000 in 1893
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Combination cotton gin, grist and sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Houston East and West Texas (later Southern Pacific)
Historicial Development: The area, known as LaNana Mills, was apparently a traditional mill site from the 1830s (see entry on Peter Ellis Bean) and was reestablished as cotton gin and grist mill in the late 1870s. The company added sawmill machinery in 1882 to supply ties and timbers to the Houston, East and West Texas Railroad. It was closed and auctioned for $1,350 in August 1899. Two of the owners were W. V. Carraway and R. H. Lee. In 1891, W. V. Carraway mortgaged to A. W. Wettermark & Son for the sawmill plant located about eight miles southeast of town. Besides the steam engines and boilers, Caraway also bought twenty “cabins” for tenant housing, seven wagons, and sixty oxen. W. V. Carraway sold to his LaNana Lumber Company at Lola $8,000 worth of goods, including two steam engines, two boilers, a sawmill, the sawmill carriage and saw dogs, edger, sheds, seven log wagons, thirty cabins, and fifteen houses. Carraway referred to the town as both Lola and LaNana. R. H. Lee leased LaNana Mills later in 1891. The mill and entire company town was dismantled and moved to Clawson, Angelina County. Part of the sawmill property was on the Lick Creek crossing of the Houston East & West Texas Railroad (later Southern Pacific). Dr. A. M. Hooper of LaNana Mills was in Nacogdoches to close the deal with Colonel Wettermark. During the later period of sawmilling under Carraway, the mill may have been cutting contract for the Industrial Lumber Company. The Southern Industrial and Lumber Review in 1901 noted that the Industrial Lumber Company marketed 75,000,000 feet of lumber annually with mills at Silsbee and Caraway in Texas and Vinton and Oakdale in Louisiana. In October 1893, W. V. Carroway leased his LaNana Lumber Company for twenty years to Petrie Lumber Company. The lease included the entire plant located on LaNana Bayou about eight miles southeast of Nacogdoches. The plant included houses, sheds, timber, the sawmill, and tram roads. The mill had burned down previously, and Petrie Lumber contracted to rebuild the sawmill so that it could mill 30,000 feet of lumber daily.
Research Date: LAT 08-08-93, JKG 12-15-93, MCJ 02-10-96
Prepared By: L. Turner, J. Gerland, M. Johnson