follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NA-6
Corporate Name: Nacogdoches County Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Nacogdoches County Lumber Company: 1939-1969: E. B. Tucker, president; T. Gillette Tilford, vice president and sales manager; and Jesse Summers, secretary and production manager. E. B. Tucker, president until 1966.
Location: North of stream crossing under Old Tyler Road , about 700 feet north of Powers Street
County: Nacogdoches
Years in Operation: 31 years
Start Year: 1939
End Year: 1969
Decades: 1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969
Period of Operation: 1939 to 1969
Town: Nacogdoches
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam, electric, gas
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 45000: 194950000: 1957
Capacity Comments: 1949: 45,000 feet daily. 1957 to 1966: 50,000 feet daily.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1949: circular head rig, band resaw, planing mill, Moore cross-circulation dry kilns, planing mill. (1966) circular, planer, chipper, resaw, log barker
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Southern Pacific (formerly the Houston East and West Texas)
Historicial Development: The genesis of the Nacogdoches County Lumber Company is revealed in the county deed records. E. B. Tucker and Jesse Summers in August 1938 bought property on Old Tyler Road west of the Houston East and West Texas and Banita Bayou for “sawmill purposes.” In 1939 and 1940, Tilford was buying land east of of Nacogdoches for timber. The Nacogdoches County Lumber Company was organized in 1939, with E. B. Tucker, president; T. Gillette Tilford, vice president and sales manager; and Jesse Summers, secretary and production manager. Lacy H. Hunt served as vice-president during part of the 1940s. By 1950, T. G. Tilford managed and operated the mill, making almost all the executive decisions. Fire damaged the lumber facility on September 28, 1948, according to The Gulf Coast Lumberman, beginning in the fuel house and spread to the blowpipes and two dry kilns, destroying 300,000 feet of lumber and damaging sawmill itself. The estimated damages were about $75,000, of which seventy-five percent was covered by insurance. New sheds and Moore cross-circulation dry kilns were soon added. In 1951, the sawmill plant was reconstructed and modernized under the direction of Jesse W. Summers. In 1957, the sawmill was renovated with a gas-operated conveyor system, a 62-inch McConough resaw, an edger, a Crosby 10-saw trimmer, and a Cambio debarker and chipper, which produced 190 pounds of pulpwood chips from a daily cut of 50,000 board feet. In 1958, assets included seven horses, two tractors, seven company trucks, eleven contract trucks, and twelve power saws. From 1958 to 1966, Nacogdoches County Lumber Company did and contracted logging, employing about 100 loggers and mill men. The company operated a commissary and provided some tenant houses, some still extant, on Old Tyler Road. The mill closed in 1969, partly because of problems with the financial aspect of controlling air pollution.
Research Date: MCJ 04-03-96
Prepared By: M Johnson