follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: MO-176
Corporate Name: Mitchell Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Mitchell Lumber Company. M and W Lumber Company, owned by Roy L. Willis.
Location: Porter
County: Montgomery
Years in Operation: 8 years
Start Year: 1950
End Year: 1957
Decades: 1950-1959
Period of Operation: 1950 to 1957
Town: Porters
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: International diesel engine
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, planing mill, dry kiln, edger, trimmer, resaw, etc.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: Ed Mitchell bought the assets and liabilities of the M and W Lumber Company, owned by Roy L. Willis and located one mile south of Splendora, in 1953. Equipment included a diesel-powered sawmill, a Yates planing mill, a dry kiln, a Ross lift, a moulder, a resaw, a 2-saw trimmer, three electric motors, a knife grinder, and trucks and trailers. The company was listed in the 1957 edition of Nelson Samson's Directory of Wood-Using and Related Industries in East Texas. The Directory of Texas Manufacturers 1956-1958 reported that E. C. Mitchell was operating the Mitchell Lumber Company at Box 4, Porter. Established in 1950, the company employed about twenty workers and manufactured structural timbers.
Research Date: MCJ 03-20-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson