follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HA-3
Corporate Name: Waterman Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Waterman Lumber Company
Location: Blocker: Highway 2625 and Blocker cometary
County: Harrison
Years in Operation: 11 years
Start Year: 1908
End Year: 1918
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: 1908 to 1918
Town: Blocker, earlier known as Leigh
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Pine and hardwoods, with flooring a speciality.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: 1908: circular sawmill and planer 1911: added band mill 1916: hardwood mill
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 60000: 1915
Capacity Comments: 60,000 feet daily in 1915 Capacity was increased in 1916 with addition of new hardwood sawmill
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, planing mills, dry kilns. 1908: a Curtis sawmill. 1911: Band mill with a 26-saw gang, etc. 1916: new hardwood mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Marshall & East Texas. Texas and Gulf, the company shortline and logging tram road.
Historicial Development: W. W. Waterman Lumber Company bought lands from Trekell & Rounds Lumber Company in Panola and Harrison counties during 1907. Deeds of Trust from 1908 to 1911 reveal that Waterman had more than 15,000 acres and a sawmill facility at Blocker, in Harrison County. Machinery at the sawmill included a 16-inch by 18-inch side-crank Ames steam engine, a 72-inch by 18-foot boiler, a Curtis sawmill with feed, husk, mandrel, carriage, blocks, live rollers, etc; a 50-inch four-saw edger; a 24-foot trimmer; and nine lumber wagons. The Deeds of Trust were redeemed. The company built a mill town and provided tenant housing, commissary goods, and medical services for its employees and their families. On January 18, 1911, the company executed a Deed of Trust to Jones & Jones on the old sawmill plus the new mill built at the Blocker plant. It consisted of four 72-inch by 18-foot steam boilers, a 20-inch by 42-inch steam engine, a band mill with a 26-saw gang, etc. and an eight-mile tram road of 45# rails with a 421/2-ton Baldwin locomotive, a 23-ton Climax locomotive, an American log load, etc. The Deed of Trust was redeemed. This facility appeared in a 1915 directory of sawmills as having a daily cutting capacity of 60,000 feet. Flooring was the mill's specialty, and only twenty-five percent of the mill's output was in ties. In 1916, Waterman Lumber Company built a new hardwood mill at Blocker, also referred to as the “new” mill at Peach near Marshall, reported The Gulf Coast Lumberman. That trade journal reported on April 1, 1918, that fire at the facility destroyed the sawmill, dry kilns, and two large sheds; estimated total loss was about $100,000. The plant was rebuilt about ten miles to the east at a place called Waskom. On August 1, 1928 (filed on March 11, 1929), W. W. Waterman sold out its lands and property in Panola and Harrison counties to Frost Industries Corporation of Texas.
Research Date: JKG 10-15-93, MCJ 12-04-95
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson