follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: MA-58
Corporate Name: Ware & Driskell
Local Name:
Owner Name: Ware & Driskell
Location: Office at Jefferson and mill at Sarber
County: Marion
Years in Operation: 30 years
Start Year: 1928
End Year: 1957
Decades: 1920-1929,1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959
Period of Operation: 1928 to 1957
Town: Office at Jefferson and mill at Sarber
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: ca. 400 in 1947
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Gum, oak, shortleaf yellow pine
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 40000: 1928
Capacity Comments: 1928: 40,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1928: Circular sawmill, planing mill, edgers, trimmers, steam dry kilns
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: 1928: Texas & Pacific and the Missouri, Kansas & Texas
Historicial Development: The Ware & Driskell lumber mill was listed in various directories at Jefferson from 1928 to 1957. The mill itself was located some miles to the west of the town at Sarber. A sawmill community with commissary and tenant housing was provided for the workers. Webb describes Sarber, on mail route from Lasater in central part of county, as a sawmill site in the 1930s. Fred Tarpley's Jefferson: Riverport to the Old Southwest (1983) describes briefly the operation of the Ware & Driskell Lumber Company. Located at Sarber, nine miles west of Jefferson, in 1926, it filled a void after the the closing of the Boice & Clark Lumber Company's longtime operation at Jefferson. Driskell & Ware began as a shingle mill with two mules and grew to a medium-sized operation that lasted until the 1950s. It had a commissary, tenant housing, and a tram road, which ran six and one-half miles from Black Cypress Bayou to White Oak. In 1947 the company employed 150 to 200 men.
Research Date: MCJ 05-04-96
Prepared By: M Johnson