follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: GR-28
Corporate Name: Keisler Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Keisler Lumber Company. Keisler Brothers. J. T. Keisler. George and Lester Keisler.
Location: Bounded by Brazos, Pine, Trinity, and Mulberry Streets in Richards
County: Grimes
Years in Operation: 51 years
Start Year: 1930
End Year: 1980
Decades: 1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969,1970-1979,1980-1989
Period of Operation: About 1930 to 1980
Town: Richards
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 100 in 1934
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and dressed pine lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam and diesel
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planer
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: International & Great Northern
Historicial Development: The Keisler Lumber Company at Richards began about 1930, when the sons of J. T. Keisler, George and Lester, built a sawmill on the location of their father's cotton gin. The Lumbermen's Credit Rating Book, October 1934 listed the mill in its edition. The operation was later noted by Nelson Samson in 1957 and 1966. The Directory of Texas Manufacturers 1956-1958 noted that in 1957 George H. Keisler was managing less than ten employees in the manufacture of rough and dressed pine lumber. Located in Richards, centered between the streets of Brazos, Pine, Trinity, and Mulberry, the mill operated until it was closed about 1980 because it could not comply with federal EPA regulations.
Research Date: MCJ 03-06-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson