follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AG-110
Corporate Name: Lufkin Pine Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Lufkin Pine Lumber Company. 1952: M. P. Richards, G. N. Boles, co-owners.
Location: Box 998, Lufkin
County: Angelina
Years in Operation: 17 years
Start Year: 1946
End Year: 1962
Decades: 1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969
Period of Operation: 1946 to 1962
Town: Lufkin
Company Town: 0
Peak Town Size: 15,135 in 1950
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Pine and cypress lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Unknown
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: The Gulf Coast Lumberman reported that the Lufkin Pine Lumber Company, which had begun operations in 1946 on the Old Nacogdoches Highway, suffered a serious fire on May 15, 1952, in which buildings and 250,000 feet of lumber were destroyed. The $65,000 damage was covered by $25,000 of insurance. The company was soon under the direction of a new president and owner, R. L. Owens. The company was listed in the 1957 Directory of Wood-Using and Related Industries in East Texas. The Gulf Coast Lumberman reported that a “tiny tornado” tore the roof off the sawmill in June, 1962.
Research Date: MCJ 01-12-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson