follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: LI-117
Corporate Name: Santa Fe Tie & Lumber Preserving Company
Local Name: Lyric Mill
Owner Name: Santa Fe Tie & Lumber Preserving Company
Location: Lyric, about twelve miles from Butlersburg.
County: Liberty
Years in Operation: 1 year
Start Year: 1918
End Year: 1918
Decades: 1910-1919
Period of Operation: 1918
Town: Lyric, near Butlersburg
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Hardwood lumber for railroad timbers and ties
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Portable hardwood sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Santa Fe.
Historicial Development: A letter in 1918 from D. E. Hodges to J. W. Terry reveals that Kirby Lumber Company had a subsidiary company named the Santa Fe Tie & Lumber Preserving Company. Kirby Lumber Company on behalf of Santa Fe Tie & Lumber Preserving Company had bought a portable mill known as the “Portable Mill Lyric District” and the Conroe, Byspot, & Northern tram road, the latter belonging to J. O. H. Bennette. The mill was operating in what was called the “‘Chapman Timber.'” Hodges discussed the possibility of erecting a second portable sawmill to operate in the Bennette district. The intent of the companies was to provide railroad materials to the Santa Fe. According to the letter, Santa Fe was financially involved in the matter but wished to remain anonymous, thus the Kirby Lumber Company was handling the funds. How long the Lyric mill, or whether a second mill was built, remains uncertain.
Research Date: MCJ 03-21-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson