follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AG-10
Corporate Name: Lowery Bros. Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Lowery Bros. Lumber Company. Lester and Elvin Lowery.
Location: Huntington
County: Angelina
Years in Operation: 19 years
Start Year: 1948
End Year: 1966
Decades: 1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969
Period of Operation: 1948 to 1966
Town: Huntington
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and dressed lumber and other manufacturing.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planer
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: The Lowrey Brothers Lumber Company sawmill began at Huntington in 1948 by members of the Lowery family. In 1962, the Lowery Lumber Company sawmill was the third largest sawmill in the Angelina County, after Temple Lumber Company at Diboll and Angelina County Lumber Company at Keltys. A fire on 13 November 1962 destroyed the hardwood mill. Estimated losses were between $100,000 and $150,000. Lester and Grady Lowery announced they would rebuild the mill. The mill closed shortly thereafter. In 1966, the company employed less than eight workers.
Research Date: MCJ 6-29-94
Prepared By: M. Johnson