follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Tram & Railroad Database

Code: 92
Corporate Name: Sturgis Lumber Company tram road
Folk Name:
Incorporated:
Ownership: Sturgis Lumber Company, also known as Boynton Lumber Company. Albert and M. M. Boynton; Simon W. Henderson.
Years of Operation: 1912 to ca. 1928
Track Type:
Standard Gauge Wooden Rails
Track Length: Unknown
Locations Served: Sturgis (Veach) (White City) (San Augustine)
Counties of Operation: San Augustine
Line Connections:
Track Information:
Tram Road Logging / Industrial Common Carrier Logging Camp
Equipment: Unknown
History: The Sturgis Lumber Company was organized by Albert and Walter Boynton, who together had earlier operated sawmills in Angelina and Newton counties. The Boynton brothers moved their mill from Logtown, Newton County around 1912 to Sturgis, San Augustine County, near White City. The mill appeared in the 1928 edition of the Southern Lumberman's directory of sawmills as manufacturing ash, beech, elm, black, red, and sweet gum, hickory, red and white oak, and longleaf and shortleaf pine lumber at 50,000 feet per day. The Boynton mill operation at Sturgis had a logging road and a town commissary.