follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Tram & Railroad Database

Code: 91
Corporate Name: B. L. Zeagler Lbr Co
Folk Name:
Incorporated:
Ownership: B. L. Zeagler Lumber Company bought the A. L. Boynton Lumber Company. Mr. and Mrs. B.L. Zeagler (Mary Belle), Lee B. Zeagler, Lila Baird, and Millard Zeagler. (Boynton: A.L. Boynton, president and general manager; M.M. Boynton, secretary-treasurer; R.V.
Years of Operation: 1920s to ca. 1957
Track Type:
Standard Gauge Wooden Rails
Track Length:
Locations Served: Between Lufkin and Keltys, on the Cotton Belt railroad. k Angelina
Counties of Operation:
Line Connections:
Track Information:
Tram Road Logging / Industrial Common Carrier Logging Camp
Equipment:
History: Not much is known about the Boynton Lumber Company tram operations originating from its mill at Lufkin. In 1928, it was still running a tramroad. The Boynton Lumber Company mill at Lufkin operated during the 1920s, under Albert and Walter Boynton, until about 1931 when it was sold to B.L. Zeagler (Zeagler Lumber Company). A letter from E.L. Kurth to J.W. Link of the Kirby Lumber Company in November 1928 revealed that the Boynton mill at Lufkin had a 50,000 board feet per day capacity, and, although then temporarily shut down to conserve timber reserves, it was cutting both pine and hardwoods. Zeagler Lumber company organized in 1931 and incorporated in 1938. The mill burned in 1942, and, as of October 1943, new mill still under construction while a small mill continued operations. DOF 10-31-38; capital stock was authorized at $25,000Mary Belle Zeagler, widow, subscribed for $24,800. Lee B. Zeagler was v.p. and general manager from 1938-1952. Lila Baird, never married, was the personal secretary of B.L. Zeagler and Lee Zeagler for many years and was a close friend of the Zeagler family.