follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Tram & Railroad Database

Code: 67
Corporate Name: Nona Tram Company
Folk Name:
Incorporated:
Ownership: Nona-Fletcher Lumber Company, Nona Mills Lumber Company, Meeks-Anderson Lumber Company. William Cameron & Company
Years of Operation: ca. 1881 to 1910
Track Type:
Standard Gauge Wooden Rails
Track Length: Six
Locations Served: Nona Mills Hardin
Counties of Operation: From Nona Mills, three miles south of Kountze, in Hardin County
Line Connections:
Track Information:
Tram Road Logging / Industrial Common Carrier Logging Camp
Equipment:
History: William R. Carroll built one of the first steam sawmills in Hardin County about three miles south of Kountze in 1881. The mill was in operation by June of that year, and it helped to cut ties for the Sabine and East Texas railroad (Texas & New Orleans) which was then building from Beaumont to Rockland. By 1884 W. R. Carroll surrendered ownership of the business to his brother, Frank L. Carroll, and the company appeared in published materials of the time as F. L. Carroll and Son or Nona Mills Company. This company seemed to be independent of Long Manufacturing Co and Beaumont Lumber Co, other interests of the Carolls. The Nona Mills Company owned more than forty thousand acres of stumpage in Hardin County. Although never incorporated or chartered with the State, the Nona Tram Company brought logs to the sawmill almost from the beginning. During the Carroll period of operation, the Tram operated nearly six miles of narrow-gauge tramroads into the surrounding pineries. As one area was cut out, the tracks would be removed and laid elsewhere. Rolling stock consisted of at least one locomotive and twelve flat cars. From all accounts the mill operated regularly until its sale to William Cameron and Company in 1902. Apparently the mill maintained the operating name of Nona Mills Company. Also it seems Cameron built a second mill under its own company name at Nona. In 1906, Nona Mills is listed as cutting 85,000 feet daily and the Cameron mill 75,000 feet daily. Cameron's logging tram reached almost twelve miles into the Big Thicket by 1907, and the end was in sight. Upon the remaining timber being cut out, the mill closed on May 31, 1910, and was sold to the Meeks-Anderson Lumber Company.