follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Tram & Railroad Database

Code: 65
Corporate Name: Trinity, Corrigan, & Northwestern Railway Company
Folk Name:
Incorporated:
Ownership: W. W. Cameron & F. B. Cameron, of Wm. Cameron & Co. of Waco. Cameron Lumber Mills.
Years of Operation: 1902 never built
Track Type:
Standard Gauge Wooden Rails
Track Length: Eighteen
Locations Served: Carmona [Cameron] (Polk)
Counties of Operation: Polk and Trinity
Line Connections: Trinity and Sabine (later Missouri Kansas and Texas)
Track Information:
Tram Road Logging / Industrial Common Carrier Logging Camp
Equipment: 1900 and 1906: eighteen mile narrow gauge tram road, three locomotives, and thirty-five logging cars Keeling: five geared locomotives
History: William Cameron, and his brother F. W. Cameron, obtained a charter in 1902 for The Trinity, Corrigan, & Northwestern Railway Company. Cameron intended to build a line that would link his sawmill at Carmona with the International and Great Northern to the west at Trinity and with the Houston East and West Texas to the east at Corrigan. Undoubtedly, he intended to use his area logging trams as the base for the building operation. The plan was dropped two months later, and the road was never built. The logging operation did, however, continue to use its own logging trams. The American Lumberman, in 1906, noted that the Cameron tram road was eighteen miles long and operated three locomotives and thirty cars, the same numbers given in an article of 1900. The Gulf Coast Lumberman reported on 1 August 1914 that a fire had ravaged the mill on 14 July 1914. The plant was not rebuilt and logging trams were directed to the Cameron Lumber Company mill at Saron, Trinity County. Keeling reported that Cameron Lumber Mills operated five narrow gauge geared locomotives over the tram road, which was headquarted at Cameron (Carmona).