follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Tram & Railroad Database

Code: 328
Corporate Name: North Texas Land & Timber Company's Railroad
Folk Name:
Incorporated:
Ownership: C. S. Woodworth & Co. and Bivins, Venable & Co. J. K. Bivins and Frank H. Bivins and George Venable
Years of Operation: 1884 to 1897
Track Type:
Standard Gauge Wooden Rails
Track Length: Ten
Locations Served: Bivins (Cass)
Counties of Operation: Cass
Line Connections: Texas and Pacific at Bivins
Track Information:
Tram Road Logging / Industrial Common Carrier Logging Camp
Equipment: Logging tram of ten miles
History: An individual named Woodward, according to John D. Hanes' unpublished “Notes on the History of Queen City, Texas,” built a mill at Bivins in 1884. Woodward and Bivins & Co jointly operated a tram road. The Bivins, Venable & Co operation was probably a split-off of the earlier C. S. Woodworth, Venable & Blythe operation at Bivins in 1885. The North Texas Land & Timber Company's Railroad, headquarted at Bivins, Cass County, was owned by C. S. Woodorth & Company and Bivins, Venable & Company in 1890. The Cass County Deed Records reveal to a logging steam road owned by the North Texas Land & Timber Company in 1897 in Cass County. This may have been the genesis of the later North Texas Land and Lumber Company, one of its locomotives which was later sold to the Dorsey Land and Lumber Company of Texarkana in 1912, or it may have been the logging tram for the North Texas Lumber Company at Kildare, in Cass County.