follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Tram & Railroad Database

Code: 180
Corporate Name: Texas Short Leaf Lumber Company tram roa
Folk Name:
Incorporated:
Ownership: Texas Short Leaf Lumber Company. Burnett Lumber Company.
Years of Operation: 1905 to 1911
Track Type:
Standard Gauge Wooden Rails
Track Length: Five to seven
Locations Served: Durst Station Angelina
Counties of Operation: Angelina
Line Connections:
Track Information:
Tram Road Logging / Industrial Common Carrier Logging Camp
Equipment:
History: Burnett Lumber Company, with Jerry M. Burnett and Ashley Stroud, acquired the properties of the old Pine Island Lumber Company, a Foster Lumber Company subsidiary. Foster mortgaged the property to Burnett Lumber in September, 1905. The mill had improvements made in 1906 and by June was running full time. The American Lumberman noted, in 1906, that Burnett Lumber Company would build a logging railroad. It gave its headquarters as being at Clawson, which was then the site of Henderson Land & Lumber Company leased site. Angelina County records contradict other reports that Burnett Lumber Company was milling lumber at Pine Island. The sale of Burnett Lumber to J. K. Bivins and E. W. Blythe note that the plant and the tram headquarters were located at Durst Station, close to Clawson on the Cotton Belt. It is possible that Burnet Lumber earlier moved the sawmill plant from Pine Island to Durst Station. The company leased tenant housing in Clawson.