follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Tram & Railroad Database

Code: 103
Corporate Name: Shelby County Lumber Company
Folk Name:
Incorporated:
Ownership: Shelby County Lumber Company. E. B. Morrison.
Years of Operation: Ca. 1889
Track Type:
Standard Gauge Wooden Rails
Track Length:
Locations Served: At Gagne's Switch, east of Timpson in Shelby County, with connections to the Houston East & West Texas.
Counties of Operation:
Line Connections:
Track Information:
Tram Road Logging / Industrial Common Carrier Logging Camp
Equipment:
History: Shelby County Lumber Company bought a sawmill from E. B. Morrison in 1889. The company, in 1891, had saw and planing mills located at Gagne, east of Timpson, on the tracks of the Houston East West Texas Railroad. On September 18, 1891, Simpson, Hartwell & Stopple of Houston claimed a lien against the machinery. On September 21, 1891, Shelby County Lumber sold for $1 to G. W. Trammel nine acres of land two and one-quarter miles east of Timpson (known as Gagne Switch), fifteen yokes of oxen, thirty-one horses and mules, wagons, one Shay eleven-ton locomotive, and eight Lima log cars. This mill have continued operations under the name of the Trammel Lumber Company. By 1905, a Shelby County Lumber Company had mills at Center and Neuville. Its history from 1891 to 1904 is not known at this time.