A group of pioneers from Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana founded the Science Hill community in 1846. Residents established cotton gins, sawmills and mercantile businesses. In 1858 the Science Hill Academy was the first school of higher education in Henderson County. During the years of the Civil War, families began to move away and by 1878, the town had become a ghost town. Marker located at RR 3273, ROW, 3.5 miles SE of Cross Roads, off FM 59S.