Moscow, Camden and San Augustine RR : Texas Historical Marker
The line from Moscow to Camden, a distance of seven miles, was built for the railroad by the WT Carter Lumber Company in 1899. Carter moved his operations to Camden where he had extensive timber holdings after a fire destroyed his sawmill at Barnum in 1897. The railroad connected the mill with the Houston East and West Texas Railway Company at Moscow. Although chartered to run as far east as San Augustine, the company only extended a short distance east of Camden where it intersected a tram line that brought logs from Camp Ruby. This connection formed a Y, which allowed the locomotives to be turned. Until 1960 the Moscow end had a turntable that allowed the locomotive to be unhooked on top of a hill, the brakes on the cars would be released after the engine was turned around and would coast back down the hill to the depot. In 1968 the Carter family sold the sawmill, timber lands, and railroad to what was then United States Plywood-Champions Paper, Incorporated. The railroad remains an active subsidiary of that company now known as Georgia-Pacific. Marker is located at the railroad depot, intersection of FM 62 and FM 942.