James Knox Bivins was a Confederate veteran and a lumberman who moved with his wife to Longview to be closer to his sawmill in the nearby Tally community. In 1905 they purchased this home, originally constructed for merchant B.F. Lewis and wife around 1895. The Bivins Lumber Company had a logging railroad and an electric light plant with 150 lights in 1906. The Handbook of Texas notes that Tally, Texas, in southwestern Harrison County, had been established by 1884 as a stop on the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad. By 1930 only a few scattered buildings remained. Marker is located at 208 E. College Street in Longview.