The town of Kennard was founded in 1903 by the Louisiana and Texas Lumber Company and platted on 160 acres. The town served as a terminus for the Eastern Texas Railroad, a line established to transport timber to Angelina County. Many businesses and citizens from earlier settlements nearby moved to Kennard when the rail line was located here. In the 1920s and 1930s the timber industry and farming grew while other businesses came to town including a cottonseed mill, cotton gins, syrup mills, a blacksmith shop, gas stations, and a boardinghouse. Kennard continues as an active and involved community located in the heart of the Davy Crockett National Forest. Marker is located at the corner of SH 7 and Main Street in Kennard.