Isaac Conroe served in the Union army during the Civil War, and moved to Lynchburg and Houston in 1866. He built a sawmill at Haltom and three years later moved his business to the Beach community. The town of Conroe grew up around the intersection and Isaac became the first postmaster of the settlement. Isaac contracted the use of the property for a temporary courthouse. In 1896, Conroe sold the house to William Conroe, his son and prominent lumberman and oilman. Located at Ave A and 1st Street in Conroe.