Carved out of the virgin forests and established in 1900, Huntington was named for Collis P. Huntington, chairman of the board of the Southern Pacific Railroad. Since lumber and agriculture were the area's economic heart, several sawmills grew up around the town. The Carter Lumber Co. produced rough and finished lumber and used the Texas & New Orleans railroad. The Smith Lumber Co. only employed 10 workers to manufacture pine lumber from the area. Huntington became a lumber shipping center for east Texas. Marker site located at FM 1669 (Main St.) at the South Pacific Railroad in Huntington.