Site of Hawn Lumber Company: Texas Historical Marker
In December 1886, Charles Hawn purchased two acres at this site and established the Hawn Lumber Co. Hawn had been active in the city since his arrival in 1881. Hawn provided lumber and labor for many of the buildings and homes in the town. Hawn lumber interests also opened mills at Chandler and Winona in 1928. The mill in Athens utilized a circular sawmill, planing mill, edgers, trimmers, and drying kilns. It was recorded that in 1928, the mill cut 25,000 bd. ft. daily. Marker is located at 204 W Corsicana Street in Athens.